The deadbug is an excellent exercise for promoting total core stability while also improving contra-lateral limb engagement (Moving opposing limbs at the same time while keeping your core stable and your back protected).
This is not only important for athletes such as tennis players and soccer players, but for everyone. Catching keys that have been thrown at you just out of reach or something rolling off the kitchen table. Having a strong core ensures we don’t feel those pinches and niggles when these types of movements occur.
- Erector spinae
- Rectus abdominis
- Transverse abdominis
- Lie on your back with your arms extended in front of your shoulders.
- Bend your hips and knees to a 90-degree angle.
- Tighten your abs by rotating your hips under and your rib cage down lowering your back into the floor.
- Slowly extend your left leg toward the floor and bring your right arm overhead. Keep your abs tight and don’t let your lower back arch. Inhale as you do this.
- Slowly return your arm and leg to the starting position exhaling.
- Repeat with your opposite arm and leg. Continue alternating.
3 Main Focus Areas
- Rib cage/pelvis engagement. Rotate your hips under and your rib cage down. This also creates a neutral spine ensuring your back is in full contact with the floor.
- Breathing. Inhale as you extend your arm/leg slow and controlled, exhale as you return to the starting position.
- Understand your limitations. If your back starts to arch off the flow, don’t extend your arms or legs the entire way. Start with legs only in a heel drop, progressing to full leg extension, then both arms and legs.
Beginner: Heel Drop Only
Intermediate: Banded with full leg extension
Advanced: Both Arm and Leg Extension.
Yours In Health & Fitness
Authentic Health Coach
Thanks for taking the time to read my ‘Movement Monday’ where I looked at the Dead Bug. Got questions? our coaches are always available to answer your questions to the best of our ability, reach out to us through facebook, instagram, youtube, or via our website HERE
|How You Can Work With UsWork with us privately – If you love to train alone, have a particular focus or goal you want to succeed with click HERE and put ‘Personal Training’ in the message line to learn more about working with an
Authentic Health Coach.
Work with us semi privately – If you understand you need a personalised plan, accountability to that plan and love being in a small team environment of 2-3 others who you will succeed with click HERE and put
‘Semi Private’ in the message line.